- Air tight plastic container.
- Fruit and vegetable dregs
- Sugar - (brown sugar, molasses sugar or jaggery) - Preferable to use jaggery
10 Parts water (Fill up 60% of container)
1 Parts sugar (=10% water content)
3 Parts kitchen waste (Fill up 80% full)
Close tight - Keep 3 months (Open daily to release gases for first month)
||Ingredients || Ratio || Example 1 || Example 2 || Example 3 ||
||SUGAR || 1 || 1KG || 2KG || 0.5KG ||
||VEGETABLE || 3 || 3KG || 2KG || 0.5KG ||
||WATER || 10 || 10Litres || 20Litres || 5Litres ||
Here's how:1. Use an air-tight plastic container.
2. Dilute sugar in water, follow by adding vegetable and fruit dregs.
3. Leave some space in the container for fermentation.
4. Close it tight.
5. During the first month, gases will be released during fermentation process. Release the pressure built up in the container to avoid rupturing.
6. Push the floating garbage downward every once in a while.
7. Place at cool, dry and well ventilated area. Avoid direct sunlight Let ferment for at least 3 months before use.
Take notes:1. Do not use glass or metal containers that cannot expand.
2. Garbage for making enzyme does not include paper,plastic, metal or glass materials.
3. Avoid oily cooked food, fish or meat residues (can be used as garden compost material), To make a fresh smelling enzyme, add orange, lemon peel or pandan leave etc.
4. The ideal colour of garbage enzyme is dark brown. If it turned black, add in same amount of sugar to start fermentation process again.
5. It may have a white, black or brown layer on top of the enzyme, ignore it. If you encounter flies and worms in the container, leave it and the chemical reaction of enzyme will resolve them naturally. Close and seal the cover tightly.
6. Make full use of garbage enzyme residue:
>> Reuse for next production by adding fresh garbage.
>> Use as fertilizer by drying the residue, blend it and bury in the ground
>> Grind the residue, pour into toilet bowl, add some brown sugar and flush to help purify sewage
7. If you have not gathered enough kitchen waste, you may fill up the container gradually. The 3 month fermentation period start from the day you place your last batch of kitchen waste.
8. Garbage enzyme is at its best after 6 months of fermentation. The longer it takes, the better it gets. Garbage enzyme will never expire. Do not store in the refrigerator.
9. Help protect our ozone layer, if every household utilised their garbage to produce garbage enzyme, It can stop kitchen waste from polluting our land and meanwhile generate enough ozone gas to ease global warming. You can help change the climate!
Credits goes to Dr. Rosukon and Dr.(H) Joean Onn for sharing this valueble knowledge.
Click the following links for more info about Garbage Enzyme:
~ Benefit Of DIY Garbage Enzyme ~
~ How to use Garbage Enzyme ~
Thank you for reading my guide. If you found it to be informative or helpful, Please click the "YES" button below, your vote is appreciated!
Guide created: 08-21-2008 (updated 08-20-2013)